Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Saving Grace

My playgroup.

About two years ago I nervously shuffled into the brightly colored story time room at our local library.  Not knowing what to expect, but hoping for something or someone to make this new mom thing easier.  We each eyed each other nervously, hoping to find something in common. The librarian instructed us to introduce ourselves and our babies, through that I made a connection with a mom who had a girl almost exactly Mercy's age.  We picked up others along the way and eventually formed a casual playgroup.

I've come to feel that God placed these people in my life.  So many times and so many reasons have theses ladies helped me out.

Commiserated when babies wouldn't sleep

Climbed playground equipment with Mercy when I was too pregnant to do so

Brought dinner when the new baby came

Acted as an extra pair of arms so that I can tend to one or the other

Talked potty training, snacks, clothes, recipes and bargains that may be quite a boring topic to non-stay at home moms

Women need other women-it's an anthropological fact.  In the stone-age model, men head out to hunt and the women huddle together.  Keeping a watchful eye on each others children, picking up the slack when our bodies are not up to the challenge, passing on tips and wisdom that we learn from each other.  I'm an introvert, but I need these ladies.  They give us motivation to be up and dressed in the morning and if nothing else gets done that day, at least we went to playgroup!

Mercy and her best friend at the zoo when the playgroup first started, a sea turtle passing by
Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment