Sunday, July 5, 2009

Church nursery

I think  it's far more important than most would credit it. The nursery was designed, most likely, for the parent's and others sake so that one could hear and focus on a sermon without little ones circling their feet.  And...most any church can provide a place to house potentially distractible children, but a church's goal should be to nourish the soul of the youngest congregants.

I have a special soft spot for church nurseries.  I have vivid memories of my church nursery, the rocking chairs with yellow cushions, mickey mouse on the end of the cribs, orange indoor/outdoor carpet and sturdy wooden painted chairs.  I remember the older couple that crawled around on the floor with me,  rehearsing "here is the church, here is the steeple", coloring with friends, hearing Bible stories, and eating those animal crackers with pink icing that were always cold because they were stored in the refrigerator.

How grounding is that?  For your very earliest memories to be in God's house and the memories to be so sweet and pleasant.  Did those working with me know that supervising my play would have a lifelong impact?  I now have the position of nursery coordinator at our church and I feel so  blessed to have been given this role that I feel is so very important.

Picture of my friends and I in 3 year old Sunday School.  I still have regular contact with 2 people in the picture and both of them were in my wedding!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment